1. Yes, she’s really bisexual. You wouldn’t keep asking a straight woman you were dating if she was “really” straight, right? Yeah, it’s just as weird for you to do that to a bisexual woman.
2. No, she’s not going to cheat on you just because she’s bisexual. That’d be like saying someone was going to cheat on you because all blondes cheat. Do you know how many monogamous blondes there are in the world? So many monogamous blondes! Same with bisexuals.
3. She’s not going through a phase. So many people act like bisexuality is this weigh station between gay and straight, but it’s not. She was probably born bisexual and will probably always be bisexual. Rest assured, if she likes you, she likes you.
4. She’s not attracted to everyone she sees. Because I don’t just date one gender, people act like I’m attracted to every single person in every room, but in reality, I am usually attracted to zero people in most rooms. I’m a picky broad, man.
5. If she ends up with one gender, that doesn’t mean she’s not still attracted to multiple genders. If a bisexual woman marries a man, she’s still bisexual. If she marries a woman, still bisexual. She didn’t finally, at long last, pick a side. She married someone she loves, who happens to be one particular gender.
6. She’s not just “greedy.” Why do bisexual people get called greedy all the time like they’re going to date every single person on earth because they have hypnotic powers and then everyone else will be single and miserable? See no. 4. I am attracted to almost no one, which means you can have almost everyone. I do not want them all.
7. She might be really scared to tell you she’s bisexual. Because if she does, you might assume one of the things on this list and then she’ll either feel like she has to explain her whole life to you or have you hate her or start being weird around her. Sadly, she’s faced these kinds of things before with other partners and is really worried that you might be the same as all the other assholes. So please don’t be.
8. She doesn’t have a specific percentage of how gay she is and how straight she is.Seriously, why do you want her to make sexuality pie charts anyway, weirdo? She just told you she’s bisexual. That doesn’t require diagrams.
9. Guys: No, she doesn’t want to have a threesome with you just because she’s bisexual. She might want to have a threesome because she likes threesomes in the same way some straight people like threesomes, but assuming she wants that just because she’s attracted to more than one gender doesn’t even make sense and it makes you sound like a moron. Please don’t be a moron.
10. Yes, she’s able to commit to same-sex relationships. Lesbians, you are so scary to so many bisexual women because so many of you think that bisexuals are cheaters or liars or fickle when the fact of the matter is, that bisexual girl who broke your heart because she left you for a man just left you for a person. Be mad or hurt or sad because someone dumped you for someone else, but don’t think for a second they dumped you because they secretly loved boys more than girls. Come on.
11. She might feel like she doesn’t have any place in the LGBT community or in the straight community. Because lesbians think she’s not gay enough and straight people think she’s this overly sexualized tramp who will sleep with anyone. Even though the B in LGBT is there, it often feels like it’s not, so being supportive of her occasionally feeling isolated goes a long way.
12. She may have only had serious relationships with one gender and not another, but that doesn’t mean she’s more into one gender or another. Some bisexuals have mostly had long-term relationships with men and not as many relationships with women, oftentimes because they were socialized to be straight and pursue boys, so they’ve just been dating them longer. But whatever the reason, that doesn’t make her X percent gay or straight. It just means she’s had more experience (or luck) with one gender than another. Also, please stop trying to do the math on this, seriously.
13. No, you can’t “turn” her one way or the other. Your love or sex or body parts cannot make her more into your specific gender just because you’re so awesome. That is not a thing.
14. Yes, fine, she’s bisexual, but she’s also a woman you’re crazy about. If you’re reading this, there’s a good chance that the fact that this girl you like is bisexual is a little overwhelming to you. That’s OK. But don’t forget she’s a person. A complex, multifaceted, funny, intelligent, fascinating, hot person you’re totally into. So it doesn’t really matter who she likes or doesn’t like or why. If she likes you, that’s all you really need to know.